Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Newly Diagnosed › What No One Tells You in the First 30 Days › Reply To: What No One Tells You in the First 30 Days
-
Community Member
MemberI’m about 11 months in and perhaps strange, but because I seemed to find a whole lot of information about the disease, I was NOT prepared for what a nightmare insurance and disability have been. I’ve told people the diagnosis is mentally challenging enough, but those two things have been awful and I haven’t seen a whole lot in dealing with those challenges. It’s like I received a crash course in exactly how so many Americans are going bankrupt due to medical issues.
A huge win for me though, after being denied 2x for IVIG and 4x for Vyvgart (including a hearing), I just received word I have approval via the My Vyvgart Path program (I guess I qualified because I’m not working). Strange that the approval felt like winning the lottery in this new life.
Part of me wonders if I have actually come to grips with the disease due to the fact I’ve had so much stress about insurance, income and if I can go back to work again (20 years in advertising), dealing with a lawyer now for my disability appeal, MRI for a cancer concern, and have another test in two weeks. Two years ago, my health was pretty good overall.. I had no problem turning 50. Crazy how quick it’s turned.
Apologies for the long winded reply, but it’s basically the outside challenges MG may bring.