Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Mental Health and Self-Care › How do you grieve the life you had before Myasthenia Gravis? › Reply To: How do you grieve the life you had before Myasthenia Gravis?
-
Community Member
MemberDiane, don’t ever apologize for having a bad day here. <3 We all get it. I get it. I was a medic in the Army. I started having symptoms while deployed to Iraq. It took everything from me as well. The army was supposed to be a career. I was studying to go to med school. I wanted to do medical research on why there was a higher prevalence of ALS in Veterans compared to the rest of the population. It took 7-8 years of cobbling various symptoms together before I was finally given a working diagnosis of MG. I too had an enlarged thymus. My neuro at the time drug their feet until I went to the patient advocate at the VA and demanded to go see a neuromuscular specialist that was a few hours away from me. After she saw my scans and med records I was having a thymectomy within a month.
So I get it.
I’m glad you’re here.