Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Effect of long-term use of prednisone and mycophenolate mofetil on immune system › Reply To: Effect of long-term use of prednisone and mycophenolate mofetil on immune system

  • Community Member

    Member

    I went on mycophenolate in 2017, using IVIG to allow the mycophenolate to take full effect without using prednisone. MG appears to have been stable since.

    Tried the Vyvgart back in 2023 but got a UTI, tried it again and got another. Never had a UTI before, now I have had another without the Vyvgart precluding future use of the drug. It’s too bad because the Vyvgart completely erased the MG for the short period it was effective.

    I just had COVID a couple of weeks ago (not up on my vaccines). With only treatment using mycophenolate and Paxlovid there was no noticeable effect on my MG.

    From what I have heard prednisone is a nasty drug with considerable side effects. It may be the cause of some of your problems and if so replacing it should improve your situation. But prednisone is dirt cheap and everything else is expensive so hopefully your insurance covers it.