Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Breathing complications with myasthenia gravis › Reply To: Breathing complications with myasthenia gravis

  • Community Member

    Member

    I’m newly diagnosed Seronegative with severe sleep apnea. I’ve had symptoms for last 5 years, with the last year all the serious health issues came to light. Newly diagnosed trying to find the right treatments. I was recently in the hospital for an exasperation due to breathing difficulties and unable to swallow water. My symptoms had been getting worse and worse while downgrading from 60mg of prednisone by 10mg every month. Well, once I got to 20mg all the symptoms were back plus increased breathing issues…couldn’t lie flat, couldn’t catch breath, oxygen in the 80’s without supplemental 02, etc. I used my Bipap Asm one night for 4+ hrs (great night sleep for me…insomnia for months) and woke up congested with a deeper cough with exertion. By, the weekend I was struggling to breath and drink. I believe an increase in IVIG pulled me out, I think.

    Could a high pressure on my Bipap cause my breathing muscles to get worn out/fatigue them? I can’t get a consistent comfortable pressure on my Bipap. I’ll have a good night, then i can’t get enough air to fall asleep, and then most of the time it’s too much lately. It all depends on how I have felt that day in my chest. Until I can see my sleep doctor, I’m using my old “normal” bipap with lower settings. I can fall asleep, just can’t stay asleep. I normally breath shallow cause it hurts to take a deep breath. Since, my hospitalization last week, I actually feel bruised under my breast in a muscle.

    Has anyone else experienced something like this? This whole thing has scared the daylights out of me. I’m afraid to go to sleep have the time.