Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Relationships and Social Life › You don’t look sick – How do you respond to that? › Reply To: You don’t look sick – How do you respond to that?
-
Community Member
MemberI know that this is a major issue for many MG patients. I have actually never been told this. Probably because I mostly use a rollator and have serious walking problems.
Like many others I have been going through various MG phases and I have been isolated in hospitals or at home for a long while. Once I started to go out, though, I had gained lots of weight and had to cope with Cushing Syndrom caused by heavy prednisolon overdoses.
So people would not say that I would not look sick, but rather tell me that I should lose weight to get rid of my problems. Different issue, but same background, as the illness is not recognized as the ultimate problem. Lose weight and you will look and move better, stop sweating and become more active!
So the invisible illness would be ignored and – even worse – you would be blamed for being overweighted and too lazy. I guess I am over this today, but this experience is still hurting me.