Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Newly Diagnosed › Can you describe the period when you first began to notice symptoms of MG? › Reply To: Can you describe the period when you first began to notice symptoms of MG?

  • Community Member

    Member

    My wake-up call for an MG diagnosis was ptosis of both eyes as well as double vision. I went to my ophthalmologist who immediately suspected my diagnosis. I was grateful for this since finding out most folks go through many trials and tribulations getting a proper diagnosis. I had positive antibody tests and was placed on predisone immediately which resolved my immediate symptoms. I believe I had other symptoms before my diagnosis, trouble chewing, swallowing and talking intermittently which went away so I did not pursue medical care. I have had a thymectomy in 2013 which only helped minimally for about a year until I had the ‘flu’ which started my double vision and eye droop again. My neurologist placed me on CellCept and Mestinon 30 mg as needed up to 4 times a day. I find I don’t use the Mestinon as much and did have GI problems with normal 60mg dose. I continue the CellCept 2000mg daily and have periodic eye problems and some chewing and balance issues at times. I feel I am so fortunate avoiding a serious crisis