• Community Member

    Member

    Yup – lots of issues. My main issue is that my feet don’t lift evenly when I walk and my toes lag and catch on uneven surfaces, steps, parking curbs, etc. That throws me off balance. I avoid walking outdoors because of balance issues. Even on the treadmill, I have bouts of unsteadiness. My MG causes my legs and feet to tire when climbing stairs so I often have difficulty clearing the steps at the top of the stairway. Anything that requires me to lift my feet can put me off balance and at risk of a fall. I’ve fractured my ankle before and have osteoporosis so I’m high risk for breaking something if I fall.

    There are things that help. My neurologist prescribed Mestinon that I self-manage as an adjunct to Cellcept when I need a boost. Every morning and the first part of every session with my personal trainer is balance exercises. I also do a dynamic warmup of my core, a Tai Chi warm up, plus I’m learning Tai Chi. I also do strength training and the standard balance exercises for seniors (calf raises, alternating reaches, stand on one leg at a time, walk forward & backward through a “ladder”, etc.). It all helps steady me and gives me the strength to recover when I do lose my balance.