Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Is double vision a common MG symptom of yours? › Reply To: Is double vision a common MG symptom of yours?

  • Community Member

    Member

    The 2nd day of double vision took me to the emergency room and within a couple weeks blood tests indicated I had anti-AChR MG. My only symptoms were double vision and droopy right eye lid.

    Eventually taking 120mg of pyridostigmine every four hours, took care of my vision issues.

    For several months we thought I just had ocular MG, but then I started with slurred speech and my neurologist told me that my ocular MG had progress to generalize the gravis.

    My neurologist said that because I was 70 when I was diagnosed she wanted me to avoid staring as possible because of their negative side effects, especially on bone density. When summer came the heat and humidity put me in a flare and I was prescribed prednisone. I never took more than 40 mg once a day, but have been trying to wean myself off of it for over a year now. I’m down to 9 mg and reducing 1 mg every two weeks.

    With my last flare, my pyridostigmine would not take care of my double vision and that’s when we increased my prednisone which my neurologist said was known to take care of vision issues. It did, and I’ve not had double vision or droopy eyelids for about a year.

    When I overdo, my first symptoms are that I slur my words. if I rest, and take it easy, my slurring goes away, but if I don’t, my right eyelid starts drooping, and soon my vision goes double.

    I’ve been lucky that my flares have only involved, extreme fatigue, double vision, and droopy eyelids. I’ve not had to deal with breathing, chewing, swallowing, or weakness of my limbs parts of my body so many other people seem to experience. In that regard, I’ve been very lucky.

    So I guess the simple answer to Your question is: yes, is often a sign that I have done too much and/or that I am moving into a flare.

    I wish you luck and will be sending healing energy to you.

    Love and Light,

    Frank