Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › What happens if I just stop medications? › Reply To: What happens if I just stop medications?

  • Community Member

    Member

    I get your frustrations. I’m 5 years diagnosed and still refractory after having tried multiple treatments in addition to prednisone, Mestinon and imuran being my steady companions. I don’t know about bipaps, but my CPAP has a humidifier container. I also found Ayers nasal gel, a humidifier or petroleum jelly (keeping it sterilize- no fingers or double dipping) keep my sinuses from drying out too much. I turned to clinical trials to get some relief from symptoms. The first trial was almost 2.5 years. It was the only treatment that gave me any sort of relief. My prednisone dose went from a high of 60 mg down to 17.5 mg. Now I am participating in a second trial, but it’s too soon to tell any results.

    For weight gain, 20 lbs gained was my biggest weight. I did an elimination diet and reintroduced foods. I found there were several foods which I ate regularly and caused gut inflammation. I ended up remaining vegan/ gluten free for the last 3 years. I increased my water intake, cut out sodas and juices. I was able to drop 12/ 20 lbs. I also felt a lot less drained without those triggers. My GP ran a full blood panel including thyroid, parathyroid and iron. At one point, I had a vitamin D deficiency, another time slightly anemic and a startling improvement in my thyroid function. I was able to quit taking thyroid medications.

    These are thing that helped me, but we are all snowflakes.🤷‍♀️