Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › MG Dentistry Precautions › Reply To: MG Dentistry Precautions
-
Community Member
MemberI was anxious about going for routine cleaning for the first time after being diagnosed with MG. I gave them our brochure about a week in advance. They proudly surprised me with a hygienist who had done her final project on MG while in dental hygienist school.
I have increased salivation which is one of the side effects of Mestinon. I asked to take control of the suction device to avoid the sensation of drowning in my own saliva. They happily agreed.
I hate the bite-wing x-rays. They never go back far enough the first time and have to do them twice while I gag through the whole process twice. This time I insisted, “Let’s get it right the first time,” and she did.
I told the hygienist that I was anxious about having my first MG crisis right in her chair. I made her promise to coach the EMT’s that I was not drunk, not having a stroke, and that my lungs were fine, it’s my diaphragm muscles that weren’t working. She assured me that she would and even repeated my instruction to the dentist when he came in for his look.
It went well.