Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Thymectomy-Above Age 50 › Reply To: Thymectomy-Above Age 50
-
Community Member
MemberI turned 50 years old 2 days after my thymectomy, and that was in 1989. At that time, the doctors in Austin would not perform the surgery. I went to Houston to have the tymectomy, and the doctors there performed the open chest surgery. I was in the hospital for 10 days, and when returning home, I went on IVIG for several years. I am happy to say that most of the symptoms are gone. I have learned to manage the ones that have not gone away. I am really glad I had the surgery, and I believe that is why I am good today. I still have fatigue if I do too much or am under a lot of stress. My biggest problem is traveling. I get extremely fatigued, and it takes several days to a week to recuperate. Does anyone have the same problem when traveling?