• Community Member

    Member

    I had a VATS Thymectomy on 12/2019 at age 66. It was a laproscopic style surgery with a shorter recovery time than the chest opening variety. The biggest issues were my Soliris infusions and major concerns about my recovery after anesthesia. I was hospitalized for 3 days and home recovery for 2 months. No thymomas? we’re found and my surgeon said my thymus was very small. I didn’t have the foresight to ask what that could mean. I don’t think it was a total success since I still have symptoms and vision issues. My MG has not progressed and that’s a positive. My motivation was I felt it better to have immediate surgery while I felt well than to wait until my condition worsened.

    My surgery and recovery was uneventful gladly. I have two small scars. I’m glad I had it done to have tried to improve my condition. I’ve heard it can take up to 5 years for improvement so I have a little time to see if I get remission.

    I did luckily get my surgery just before covid19 reared it’s ugly head.

    I had a surgeon who was experienced in minimally Invasive Thymectomies. And who understood the challenges we face. My neurologist did research on surgeons, she spoke to the surgeon before recommending him to me.

    Hope this helps in your choice…