Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Describe the Moment You Were Undiagnosed With MG, but Realized Something Was Seriously Wrong › Reply To: Describe the Moment You Were Undiagnosed With MG, but Realized Something Was Seriously Wrong
-
Community Member
MemberI was on my way to a wedding and noticed I suddenly had double vision. This had happened once before and went away quickly. But this continued for the rest of the day and I decided if it didn’t go away after a good night’s sleep I’d get it checked out. On Sunday morning I woke up with double vision and headed off to the emergency room.
They wondered if I was having a stroke and did lots of tests and discovered I hadn’t had one. The did the ice test on my eyes and gave me an injection of Pyridostigmine and neither of those indicated I had MG. So after over 24 hours in ER they sent me home and told me to see my PCP.
He had blood tests done and it turned out that I had a lot of antiACH receptors antibodies. So, then the journey began with my docs. Luckily I have a fabulous neurologist that specializes in MG and things have been OK since then. My life is totally different and I can’t do many, many of the things I enjoyed doing previously. But I’ve to had any crisis or any bulbar symptoms other than some slurring of words when I did tooo much.
Since my mom died of MG in 1995, I was pretty worried about my diagnosis but my neurologist said treatment options are very different than they were nearly 30 years ago and that what my mom went through just doesn’t happen any more.
Thanks for asking!
Frank