Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › Do You Work? Has It Been Impacted by MG? › Reply To: Do You Work? Has It Been Impacted by MG?
-
Community Member
MemberI’m 62 years old and I’ve only had MG a year now with all major symptoms via double vision, chewing, respiratory, speech and strength loss etc. I was in relatively good physical shape a year ago but my physical and some of my mental speech and concentration health have been affected. I Am a VP product line manager in the oilfield that requires 24/7 on call duty with a lot of traveling to inter-company districts and oil field rig locations. Without my Vyvgart Treatments, none of this would be possible. It’s still hard to dress in a hard hat, coveralls and steel toe boots to even walk across an oilfield location let alone walking up on the 30 foot rig floors. Even getting through the airports are difficult and use a cane or request a ride on their carts. I attended many operational meetings internationally and externally with clients and find my ability to concentrate or follow conversations can sometimes be difficult. The hardest part is sometimes finding the words or the embarrassment in mispronouncing common financial or industry words and terminology.. I find myself writing more emails to avoid verbal conversations due to this. Like most with a rare disease, I hope and pray that I can retain my employment at least until the age of retirement. I conduct a lot of blowout training with new people to the industry and on the drilling rigs and that feel I have a lot of experience and knowledge to give back to the industry. Keeping my wages and insurance are very important but I also seem to have stronger sense of still feeling useful and productive while managing through my MG. During my Vyvgart cycles, I have to manage my travels around my Wei infusions and actually have been infused in different states such as North Dakota that would allow. Some states do not allow this such as Nevada without a prescription from a Nevada Physician which can be very difficult as I have experienced.
In Short, MG has been a Game Changer to my employment and usually don’t share that I do have a rears disease such as MG probably because I’m too proud to accept preferential treatment.. This is just my experience in a short time and hope can relate to others experiencing similar employment type challenges with MG.