Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Managing Prednisone Weight Gain › Reply To: Managing Prednisone Weight Gain

  • Community Member

    Member

    Most time of the last four years I was taking 15-25 mg of prednisone daily. My weight was relatively stable, I gained at most 5 kg in that time period (from 113 kg to 119 kg), but I was really fat, with BMI 39. Last year, when my MG improved, I started a gliders pilot course, and discovered that there was a weight limit of 103 kg. So… I lost 7 kg in 45 days, 17 kg. in 5 months, and now I am at 99 kg (-20 kg) after 9 months. After reachinhg the 103 kg legal limit, the weight loss became more complicated.

    To loose weight:
    You need motivation.
    You do not have to do some special diet (all of them are meaningless fads)
    You have to eat less calories than you use.

    Basically, I could not increase calories expenditure (long excercise with myasthenia is really out of question), so I had to reduce calories intake. At outset I calculated (using online calculator) the calories needed to maintain weight (3000 for 120 kg and my exercise/life style level), and then set a limit of 2200 calories. A deficit of 800 calories was equivalent to about 100 grams weight loss per day.

    I was eating anything I wanted, but at each meal I was calculating the calories, and once the 2200 limit was reached, it was game over till next day…

    To summarize:
    YOU NEED MOTIVATION
    YOU HAVE TO RECOGNIZE THAT YOU ARE FAT (not obese, not overweight), FAT, FAT, FAT
    SHUT YOUR MOUTH