Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Managing Prednisone Weight Gain › Reply To: Managing Prednisone Weight Gain

  • Community Member

    Member

    The only way to stop the weight gain is to    … GET THE HELL OFF OF PREDNISONE.  You need to find a knowledgeable “old-school” doctor, who can taper you off of it successfully.  I also was on 60 MGs daily, in addition to over 5000 MGs of other meds, daily … at home after I was released from the fifth hospital of 2020 on Black Friday 11-27-2020.

    For 8 long suffering and toasted muscle strength months, not a single doctor could diagnose my ACUTE  OCULAR  AND  GENERALIZED  MYASTHENIA  GRAVIS  illness.  I was finally diagnosed by a very intelligent and experienced third floor nurse, who recognized all my MG symptoms  … and talked outside doctors .. into giving me a NEURO-CONSULT and also THYMUS/ANTIBODIES TESTS.

    Because every doctor did not know I had MG, they gave me STATINS too.  THE STATINS and STEROID PREDNISONE gave me medically induced DIABETES II and scores of   … 350, 400, and HIGH.  At the fifth hospital, they stopped the PREDNISONE, and a new doctor tapered me off LANTUS products, so my MG and DIABETES II both in REMISSION.   The only thing that saved me from BALLOONING UP  … is that  … being undiagnosed with MG, I lost over 43 lbs in the first 6 months (198 to 155),   … and even more the next 2 months, so all the Prednisone got me back up to 196,  BUT I lost all my muscle tone, and was on ENTERIC and PEG TUBE feeding for over three months in three different hospitals for the first 4 months, losing even more than 43 lbs..