Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Research and Clinical Trials › Chemical exposures and MG › Reply To: Chemical exposures and MG
-
Community Member
Member3 months ago the VA rated me TDIU 100% P&T (Age 73). $ 3,600 per month.
I was at Anniston Army Depot 1972-74. They stored nerve gas. My Army eyeglass prescriptions were constant until prisms were added April 7, 1974, 3 months before my discharge. The National Archieves could not find my medical records. Luckily when I asked the VA for my “C File” (claim file), I found my Army Eye Exams. It took a year to get my C-file because of Covid.
I have found that the raters don’t have any knowledge about MG, though it is on the original “Chronic Disease” service presumptive list next to MS. The presumption only works if there is a symptom within one year. “Buddy statements” can be used.
If someone wants to try a claim. Start withthe following, File a letter of intent, to preserve an early effective date. Request your C-file through a “FOIA” “freedom of information act”. Find a Veteran Service Officer(VSO), try your local Veteran assistance group. Tell the VSO that MG is on the “chronic disease” list. I got VA exams after denials by talking to the higher level reviewers (HLR) and explaining what MG was and how I had a symptom while in the army. If denied, read the rationale of the examiners. In my case the raters had skipped the rationale parts that said I developed MG in the service. I used the rationales as new evidence. In my case, after denials, I used the binocular double vision as a primary claim. The Optometrist examiner then said it was caused by MG. It was a 3 year road for me.