Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › CPAP Machines – do they work for breathing issues while sleeping › Reply To: CPAP Machines – do they work for breathing issues while sleeping

  • Community Member

    Member

    Denise,

    Some good advice here.  I have had MG for almost 20 years. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea many years ago but only started used a CPAP machine back in July of 2022.  After getting my 2nd covid booster (big mistake for me) back in Sept. 2022, my MG went off the cliff and went into crisis in mid Oct 2022. Have been on prednisone, mestinon, Imuran, IVIG infusion and Rituximab infusions since Nov. 2022. Problems with diaphragm and shortness of breath. My CPAP has been a life saver at night. I suppose it depends on the extent and intensity of your breathing difficulties but in my case the CPAP has been very helpful to help me breath easier and more calmly at night while trying to sleep.  I also have an adjustable bed which I incline a small degree at night and that also helps.  Was glad I had been on CPAP machine before flare-up of MG, however. I was already accustomed to it and had made the commitment to use it every night.  It can be difficult to get used to (especially getting used to mask on your face) and may not be the best option if you are in the midst of a flare-up/crisis.  Good luck.