Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › MG Dentistry Precautions › Reply To: MG Dentistry Precautions
-
Community Member
MemberGreat information, Jodi! I’ve found that since my MG diagnosis, I’ve become anxious during cleaning and dental procedures because I choke frequently, especially when water is sprayed. During the height of the pandemic, hygienists weren’t using air or water power and what a difference! So they’ve noted on my chart to not use air or water except for suction and occasional rinsing. Although my dentist is familiar with MG, the hygienists aren’t so well informed so I take a few minutes before they start to explain why I need them to avoid spraying water anywhere near my throat and to use suction more often for saliva control so I don’t choke. My dentist gives me a second suction tube so I can control saliva during procedures, although a couple of his assistants are excellent at keeping fluids away from my throat. Anyone else have some practical tips we can try?