Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › What Is Your Longest Hospital Stay Due to MG Issues? › Reply To: What Is Your Longest Hospital Stay Due to MG Issues?

  • Community Member

    Member

    My initial diagnosis resulted in 4 separate stays each lasting 7-8 days.  The hospital insisted on treating me with plasmapheresis the first three times along with Mestinon.  Finally they realized the Plasmapheresis was nothing more than a bandaid that lasted at most two weeks.  Finally i was put on IVIG and then transitioned to Soliris and now Ultomiris.  I have not been in the hospital for three years.

    Some of the things I learned.  Before you go get all your electronic devices and chargers together.  Because my speech was heavily compromised I took a clipboard with ample paper for communication.

    The most important thing I learned was to stand up for yourself.  Most of the nursing staff were good people but I had a couple of incidents where I had to get management involved because I was not receiving the quality of care that I should.