Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Steroid Alternatives › Reply To: Steroid Alternatives
-
Community Member
MemberGet your doctor to taper you off Prednisone as soon as you can. For eight months, no a single doctor or hospital could diagnose my acute ocular and generalized MYASTHENIA GRAVIS. I was finally diagnosed by a third floor nurse at the second hospital. She recognized my 8 or 9 symptoms and talked the doctors into a neuro consult and thymus/antibodies tests. Thymus fine all three other test scores through the roof.
The first hospital had me on statins for no reason. The second hospital put me on the steroid PREDNISONE for MG … so with both I got MEDICALLY INDUCED DIABETES II and my scores were 350, 400, and over. After the third hospital, they tapered me off PREDNISONE and KILLED IT, so my new diabetes doctor got me tapered off of Lantus shots on October 25, 2021 and my numbers are 110 to 115 … so no shooting up any more and my PREDNISONE induced diabetes II is in remission.
My MYASTHENIA GRAVIS is in REMISSION since Christmas of 2020, after 5 months in 5 hospitals in 2020. I have had only my 5 days of 5 hours of IVIG … when I was finally diagnosed. My Prednisone is dead now … and I take 180 MGs daily of MESTINON and 2000 MGs of the immune suppressant CELLCEPT .. so I am fine now … and no more IVIGs.
Join MG support groups and ZOOM with them. I belong to 4 groups. They can tell you what works and does not work for them … along what doctors locally are MG clueless to avoid, and which doctors know about MG and what symptoms we have … to correctly diagnose us and treat us. Then stick to the MG savy like glue. He will keep you alive and walking. KNOWLEDGE is POWER to stay safe and in REMISSION.
If you have an MG clueless doctor .. ditch them and quickly find a QUALIFIED doctor who knows MG …. Your MG support group moderator will have names of doctors, who have been properly educated and can help you. I had three neurologists at the first of 5 hospitals of 2020. They made everything worse … as I got an overdose of anesthesia, because I was moving to much in X-Rays and phlegming and trying to stay on my side …. so I was sedated for MRI and CATSCANS. It is dangerous to suppress the breathing of undiagnosed MG patients with sedatives such as Propofol and Rocuronium … when MG already suppresses our diaphragm breathing. So wear a MG medic alert bracelet, and warn people of your acute needs.