Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Steroid Alternatives › Reply To: Steroid Alternatives
-
Community Member
MemberI’m on 5 mg of prednisone plus monthly IVIG. I have a Neurologist who’s specialty is MG, plus ALS, at a major medical center/hospital in San Francisco. So, I got lucky when I went to The ER to have him assigned to me. The problem with felling like you are in a lab experiment is that no drug works for every person. And what doesn’t work for you may work fine for someone else. My PCP told me that drugs are FDA approved if they prove to help as little as 5 or 10% of patients and it’s never 100%. Which, of course, means they are ineffective for 90 to 95% of patients. So the doctors often have to try different medications, or combinations, to attempt to find what works best for you. For my part, if I’m with a specialist in my condition, I have no problem trying different medications. My Neurologist told me that up until the discovery several years ago of prednisone helping MG patients, MG was essentially a death sentence.