Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Steroid Alternatives › Reply To: Steroid Alternatives
-
Community Member
MemberI would be extremely careful with seeing a doctor that will attempt to diagnose you with something other than MG. Once you have a different diagnosis, that is often incorrect, it makes it harder to get medications and services for MG paid by insurance.
I don’t respond to prednisone but have been on varying doses of Mestinon for 40 years (and on a side note, I just had a so-called specialist (neurologist) tell me they didn’t know what I have but it probably isn’t MG – I nipped that right away) and have tried other treatments. There are many. IVIg work best for most people. Imuran, Cellcept, and Prograf are good options. Rituxan and Hizentra also are good but expensive options (worth going the extra mile to get them covered). Plasma Exchange is another option. I’ve tried all of them in the past but I have reactions to most medications. Currently Hizentra and Rituxan work well together.