Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Mental Health and Self-Care › Mood and Mental Health Medications With MG › Reply To: Mood and Mental Health Medications With MG

  • Community Member

    Member

    Jodi, I come from two different perspectives with regards to this issue.  First off, Iwas diagnosed with Generalized MG in May, 2020, and have taken Zoloft for years for anxiety issues.  I too struggle with anxiety in addition to MG.

    Second, I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist here in Tennessee.  I work in our local community mental health agency and see youth and their families on a daily basis.  Some manage their mental health symptoms with the aid of medication, some manage without meds.  I’ve seen both approaches work.

    In my personal life, medication has helped me to decrease my anxiety and manage my everyday stress better.  Oh, I still have my share of stress, don’t get me wrong, but Zoloft has helped to take the edge off of those feelings and make them more manageable.  Then, I’m better able to use behavioral intervention to help me to lower my anxiety further.

    As a professional, both approaches (meds vs. no meds) have worked for people that I have worked with in my 30 years in the field.  I could never tell anyone whether to take or not take meds, as I don’t have to live with the repercussions.  One thing that I do worry about with my clients, however, is that they sometimes feel shame over having to take medication for anxiety and/or depression, and they shouldn’t feel this way.  Some people feel like they fail if they have to take medication for sadness or anxiety.

    Many times, however, there is a biological component to sadness or worry do to chemical imbalances in the brain.  There’s a physical aspect to it, and sometimes meds can help.  I’m not one who rushes individuals to take meds, but I do try to educate about the undeserved stigma of taking meds for mental health issues.  It’s OK if you choose to go that route, and you shouldn’t feel bad about taking an antidepressant like you wouldn’t feel bad about taking an antibiotic for an infection or insulin for diabetes.  Lowering your stress level by addressing anxiety and/or depression can actually decrease MG symptoms according to my neurologist that I see for my MG.

    Good luck with this issue.  You come across as very bright and insightful, and I’m sure that you will make a decision that is best for you.  My hope and prayer is that you find peace and clarity about this issue and that you make the decision that is best for you personally.  Take care!