Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Differences Between Plasmapheresis (Plasma Exchange) vs. Intravenous Immune Globulin (IVIG) › Reply To: Differences Between Plasmapheresis (Plasma Exchange) vs. Intravenous Immune Globulin (IVIG)

  • Community Member

    Member

    I’m 78 and had 3 years of monthly IVIG treatments ranging from 3 -5 days/month. The infusion nurse will explain the procedure when your Mom has her 1st one. She will probably receive Benedryl and Tylenol 30 minutes before the actual infusion begins. This is to counter any possible side effects. The Benadryl made me sleepy so I would snooze in the recliner chair for 1-2 hours while the iv is going tucked in with the provided warm blankets. The amount entering will be adjusted during the iv period and can be slowed if there is any discomfort. FYI  I had absolutely no side effects from the IVIG. I’d bring a snack/lunch (depending on my appointment time) and some headphones for music or a book or tablet to relax while the infusion is going. Hydration is a must while undergoing IVIG treatment, water, juice, etc. All the best to your Mom.