Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › The Costs of MG Treatments › Reply To: The Costs of MG Treatments

  • Community Member

    Member

    About two years ago my neurologist started my IVIG infusions with a local hospital infusion center.  I met with an intake administrator who explained that Medicare and my HMO supplemental coverage would pay for part but not all but it would somehow work itself out.  I refused to proceed with the treatments until I was given an amount that I would be responsible for.   The intake person assured me that it would again work itself out.  I had four infusions over four weeks, never any indication of what the cost would be.

    One month later I received the bill from the hospital totaling over $37,000.00 of which I owed $7,400.00.  Obviously nothing got worked out!  I appealed the bill with my insurance provider and Medicare.  After four stages of appeals, the amount stands.  The hospital is suing and collection agencies are involved.  Coinsurance is often discussed as a percentage of the treatment’s cost but no cost estimate is ever given so the patient never knows what their costs will be but is always responsible.

    The important issue is that medical treatment is prescribed without any regard to the financial burden that is placed on patients and family.   This billing loophole has to change.  Countless lives have been devastated by the fallout.  The cost can be worse than the disease.

    “Physicians do no harm”