• Community Member

    Member

    My first signs of Myasthenia Gravis happened as I was on a week long road trip.  I was extremely tired and as we came over a hill, I saw 2 trucks coming at us.  With double vision, we all know if you close one eye and everything becomes one.  My friend, who was driving, assured me that there was only one.  I went to my ophthalmologist/neurologist, and she was teaching a student.  She told the student that I had Myasthenia Gravis even before she told me.  I had never heard of MG, and turned to the doctor and said WHAT.  That started my journey to learn as much as possible about MG.  I was diagnosed in 1988.  In 1989, I was in Houston getting my thymus gland removed.  No other doctors in the Austin area would perform the surgery. They referred me to Dr. Bernard Patton in Houston.  He ordered the thymectomy, and I have slowly gotten much better.  I was on IVIG for many years.  I am no longer on any medication for this misunderstood disease.  If I pace myself and don’t get too fatigued, I feel pretty normal.