• Community Member

    Member

    My first signs was losing my smile (MG snarl). Not understanding what was happening my then boyfriend (now husband) would call it my yucky face and we would both brush it off. I had also just finished college where I was a D1 athlete for 4 years and couldn’t understand why I was struggling keeping up in an exercise class (it was the late 80’s). I wasn’t able to keep my arms up in class or when washing my hair. After traveling to visit my boyfriend for Christmas he commented that it was getting worse. I made an appointment with my general practitioner in January 1990 and so thankful he diagnosed me right away. He referred me to a Neurologist who had me tested and confirmed the diagnosis. I went ahead and had a thymectomy in February of that year. It took me several years but eventually went into remission.
    When I experienced a resurgence in 2020, it was with double vision, a symptom I didn’t experience in 1990. This second time has been much different then the first time.