Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › First Signs of MG › Reply To: First Signs of MG
-
Community Member
MemberFirst signs were ocular with diplopia when walking in cold/heat or driving when very fatigued. In retrospect I think I stopped running early in the course when running stopped being fun (after 26 years), I got much slower than I had been, and had to stop on hills on my usual routes. Then walking uphill became a significant problem because of leg weakness. One day it hit that I had MG. This coincided with a friend watching me walk up a hill and becoming concerned that I had had a stroke. The following day I stopped a neurologist in the hospital (I was in active medical practice then but am now retired) and asked if I had MG. He looked at a few things in the hall, suggested I did, and arranged for single-fiber EMG at another hospital. At the time the EMG was borderline but, along with the symptoms and response to Mestinon, it was a fairly strong diagnosis. After moving from D.C. to Boston I found a new neurologist. Had a second single-fiber EMG. There was no equivocation whatsoever. Have been on mycophenolate 2000 mg daily for the past three years with good result. Able to decrease the dose of Mestinon significantly. Am in a position that I can plan and prepare for those times when physical demands increase such as lecturing etc. And there are a few things I know I no longer can or want to do. I rather doubt I will ever go to another college football game unless I have a seat in the press box or a lot of other things.