Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › First Signs of MG › Reply To: First Signs of MG
-
Community Member
MemberSeveral years before I retired, I bought a small farm outside of Houston Texas. I soon had sheep, Nubian dairy goats, egg laying ducks, a couple donkeys, a pair of horses. My dream was to get licensed so I could sell my goat milk cheese at a local farmers market, along with my duck eggs. To get the license I needed a micro dairy. My wife found a used micro dairy for sell, only ninety minutes away. I made the deal.
I had a friend ride along to help load the dairy. On the way to pick it up, my eyelids kept dropping. I wasn’t falling asleep as I was talking with my friend but could hardly keep my eyes open. Anyway, we picked up the dairy and unloaded it into my barn where I had built the cheese room. Then I made an appointment with my GP. I explained that four months ago, I had taken wife out for a nice steak dinner but could only eat one half, my jaw muscles got tired and I could not chew any more. A couple of months later we went out for Sunday brunch at a nice fried chicken buffet, but I could not chew the chicken. Then I told about picking up the dairy. He just looked at me and said “Myasthenia Gravis”. I replied “back at ya doc”. Anyway, the blood test confirmed his diagnosis. He had seen two MG cases back when he was an intern.
On the one hand I feel very lucky in getting an accurate diagnosis so quickly, especially in rural Texas. The downside, I no longer go to the farmers market to sell my duck eggs and I never got the license to sell my cheese. One retirement dream unfulfilled. Anyone want a micro dairy?