Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › COVID-19 and MG › Have You Had COVID-19 with Myasthenia Gravis? What Was Your Experience? › Reply To: Have You Had COVID-19 with Myasthenia Gravis? What Was Your Experience?
-
Community Member
MemberI was in MG crisis when I tested positive for Covid December 23. I got it from my wife, who had tested positive about a week earlier. We tried our best to stay in separate ends of the house when she tested positive, but I pretty much knew it was just a matter of time. She was very sick. When I tested positive, my doc told me I should immediately go to the ER and get the monoclonal antibody infusion, he was very stern in his direction and said I should not hesitate due to my compromised immune condition because of the MG. I had the monoclonal antibody treatment on the 24th, the only Covid symptom I had was a slight fever, 99.6 and the early signs of a sore throat. I went from those mild symptoms on the 24th, to literally fearing I was going to draw my last breath in this life on the 25th. I had trouble breathing, my O2% went down to 83% and stayed there, my temperature went to 104, and I was so fatigued I couldn’t get out of bed. The Covid came on me so fast I felt more like I had been poisoned rather than contracted a virus. It was very scary. I refused to go to the hospital in fear I would be put on a ventilator and would simply die there. I made the decision, right or wrong, that if I died, I’d rather die at home rather than in a hospital room on a ventilator, by myself. It took about 6 weeks for me to begin to feel normal again, I lost all my sense of smell and taste, however now have no lingering effects of Covid, just back to dealing with MG. I only recently recovered from the MG crisis I was in, after I began participating in a MG medication clinical trial. I have been participating for three months now, and for the first time since I was diagnosed with MG three years ago, have gone a full month now with no MG symptoms whatsoever. One whole month now with no MG symptoms. I literally feel like my old self again, complete with zero fatigue and have gotten my strength back. I am cautiously optimistic that I can keep this recovery up!