Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › Magnesium and Myasthenia Gravis › Reply To: Magnesium and Myasthenia Gravis
-
Community Member
MemberToday I’m in the middle of my first 5-day IVIG infusion series and I hadn’t really eaten much of anything for about 2 weeks because of my swallowing difficulties. Upon admission they did bloodwork and my Magnesium was 1.6 so the admitting doc ordered Magnesium, of course. I am so fortunate that a couple of months ago I just happened to have read a comment by someone on this website that mentioned about not taking Mg for anything (like, for example, leg cramps). I looked around here and at other MG forum sites, did some more formal research and figured there was something about this so I did something I’ve never done in my life and refused the order. While an inpatient I dug around some more and, voila, Mg inhibits ACh production! I had to educate my nurses and the ordering MD and they soon realized what might have otherwise happened (exacerbate my flare-up or cause an MG crisis). My advice is to learn as much as you can about MG and known triggers because about 99% of the medical community know very little about MG, and there may be times that you’ll have to stand up and be strong and insistent and have some reference(s) handy to back up your decision. This website might have saved my life.