• Community Member

    Member

    I know that sex is a rather unique subject …   for a Myasthenia Gravis website, but I thought that I would put in my two cents, even if it means being “held for moderation”.

    In July 20219, I started showing all the symptoms of MG, starting with OCULAR MYASTHENIA GRAVIS, and then all my other body parts.  I had just turned 68 the previous June.  It took me eight months to be diagnosed with MG, as every doctor who saw me failed.  I was finally diagnosed by a very intelligent and understanding third floor nurse at the second hospital.

    I have been in REMISSION for about 15 months now,  with my remaining problems, being still some leg and calf weakness, along with being really tired in afternoon hours, as well as having ACUTE ONSET INSOMNIA.  So far,  it takes forever to fall asleep, and when you wake up early, it takes hours to get back asleep, if at all.  Doctors still don’t really understand … if it is from the side effects of having MG or the side effects of 2000 MGs daily of CELLCEPT, and 10 other drugs daily.  I have been finally tapered off of PREDNISONE  … my nasty effects from that drug should be out of my body now.

    I have read that MGF of California is funding a study at University of Calif at Irvine on that very topic.  So I am now too old, and no longer have a lady to do it with,   and have not considered sex, in some time.   But with my very bad INSOMNIA, and taking forever to get sleepy and not wake up dead tired and weak, from lack of sleep. I was willing to try ANYTHING to get a good night’s sleep again.  So I don’t know … how many other male MG patients have INSOMNIA sleep problems, especially after five months in five hospitals in 2020 with no privacy,  lights always on, and hallway doors open.  But I was willing to try ANYTHING to sleep,  now that I was at home in my own bed … and I remember reading and experiencing, that sex makes men sleepy,  when you are tossing and turning in bed, from sore shoulder and calf muscles, trying to fall asleep.  So sometimes, when I am totally frustrated  .. but still awake,  I try a hand job.  With a good imagination, and no “wrong colored”  lights keeping you awake, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but sometimes it just makes you fall asleep a little sooner.  I never thought that this topic would appear on this website  … but if it helps one person get asleep sooner and longer, then it is worth it, until someone finds the clue to the MG/Insomnia mystery.

    When you only get 3 or 4 hours a sleep at night, it affects even more what you can accomplish the next day, without constant laying down and resting, or being a half awake zombie, from poor sleep the night before.