Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Relationships and Social Life › Sex and MG › Reply To: Sex and MG
-
Community Member
MemberOk, I’ll start the conversation. I have had gMG for around 30 years. It began with my eyes, then gradually affected all my muscles until I was disabled around 2006 when I saw my neurologist and was diagnosed in 2006. My husband is disabled and uses a walker. He is very understanding about my MG when it comes to sex. We communicate openly about sex and discuss it a lot. I think that is extremely important to a healthy relationship. He knows that I can only do so much physically, then I can do no more. When I feel I am at the point I cannot go on, I either switch up what we’re doing, or if laying down I just relax and go limp. That way I don’t have a crisis in the middle of sex. It is sad to me that I can no longer do some of the things I used to do, like ‘riding on top’. My legs just are not strong enough to do that anymore. So we just do other ways. I find with MG in general that I have to find different ways to do the things I used to do, or do other things instead. Yes, it does affect my confidence and self esteem, but I do not dwell on what I cannot do and allow it to make me depressed or upset. We have a great sex life in spite of our limitations!