Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › Career Changes with Myasthenia Gravis › Reply To: Career Changes with Myasthenia Gravis
-
Community Member
MemberDirector of operations/business systems integrations/data management, health insurance industry. I had 12o employees, 7 direct reports. I climbed the ladder in management after my MG diagnosis. The MG didn’t stop me, but the side effects from the medications put a damper on things.
One of my rubs with the corporate world is all will say they will accommodate my situation, in reality only about 20% will. The higher I got up the ladder, the more difficult things got. The travel was hard for me because I always had issues sleeping from all the Prednisone I was taking. I was pretty much useless with no sleep….and it became more difficult the older I got.
I’m retired now, but would have loved the work from home situation COVID created. Now everyone works from home…no questions asked. After being diagnosed, I lasted 18 years in high stress environments. Honestly, I’m happy to be out of it.
I wound up bowing out early due to the side effects from long term prednisone use. Seems like it wreaked havoc on all my muscles and connective tissue. Steroid myopathy and chronic tendon pain. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still be in it.