• Community Member

    Member

    Hi Barbara

    My neurologist and I were trying to time the benefits of the mestinon, which was helping me to breathe better at night when lying down and also to swallow my food better and more safely during the day, as well as relieving my ptosis and the vision problems that came with that. We went with taking 4 doses of the 60 mg regular pills because that let me try adjusting the dose timing myself according to changing needs.

    That worked out well for me.

    I am now less dependent on the exact timing of my mestinon doses relative to meals, as my chewing and swallowing are much improved.  I still try to manage evening cramps by having a longer interval between my afternoon dose and my bed time dose than the others, so the ability to adjust the dose intervals  still helps.

    We all have to find which regimen works best for us and that may depend on how we individually respond to the drugs and what side effects bother us most.   I do well with the way I take the 60mg doses at the moment so I am still happy with that approach but that does not mean it would be the better choice for someone else.

    As TheresaG said, “go with what works” … for you!

    Alan