Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › Career Changes with Myasthenia Gravis › Reply To: Career Changes with Myasthenia Gravis
-
Community Member
MemberI was emergency unit registered nurse for 47 years and I had to retire. I could not do CPR on anyone, go at the same pace without lots of rests, start IV’s due to lack of manual dexterity, I could not fit all my doctors appts, treatments and therapies in with my schedule ( 12 hour shifts), my husband had to drive me to work because I have a severely droopy right eye and blurred vision,because of insomnia,I could not stay alert enough the entire 12 hours… The staff was wonderful in helping out, even my nurse manager was wonderful in letting me try to organize my schedule, but I felt like a chain around everyone’s necks and I started to get anxious that I was going to make a mistake and hurt someone. So I took my pension and ran. It was hard to do but it truly was for the best. I still kept my license just in case I miraculously get better but it is currently inactive.