• Community Member

    Member

    Getting to know your own MG is important. I have yet to find any MG person who has exactly the same symptoms in the same way as another MG patient. You will need to get to know your own response to the various factors.

     

    Getting to know your own MG is important. I have yet to find any MG person who has exactly the same symptoms in the same way as another MG patient. You will need to get to know your own response to the various factors.

     

    I have had MG since 2014. Diagnosed in 2015 with a sign MOMA and immediately had a thymectomy. I was placed on Mestinon 60 mg four times a day and had rapid improvement to a point .  My difficulty in breathing, swallowing and ptosis improved dramatically. But the fatigue and upper body weakness have continued.

     

    My difficulty in breathing, swallowing and ptosis improved dramatically. But the fatigue and upper body weakness have continued.

     

    With each successive year post thymectomy I was able to reduce the Mestinon to as low as 30 mg three times a day.  I reached a point where I was only taking 30 mg once a day when needed when I got my first Covid vaccination. No problem following the first Covid vaccination. The second shot threw me into a near crisis state. My neurologist began IV I G with a five day loading dose infusion followed by once a month there after. I noticed almost immediate improvement just as I had post thymectomy and starting Mestinon.

    This was followed once a month there after. I noticed almost immediate improvement just as I had post thymectomy and starting Mestinon.

    Some may think I’m crazy, but I went ahead and got the booster for the Covid vaccine while I was taking IV I G and had no further negative response .   I figured if I was going to get Covid I wanted to do it having been fully vaccinated so that I could minimize that infection and not complicate my MG.

    I am now on IV I G every seven weeks, no Mestinon, and I’m traveling internationally without complications.

    Yes it has changed my life but by paying attention to my own symptoms, and managing difficult times with Mestinon, and a regular routine of IV I G my quality of life is near normal,

    I hope your experience in learning about your own MG has a good course.