Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Research and Clinical Trials › Chemical exposures and MG › Reply To: Chemical exposures and MG
-
Community Member
MemberI was in VietNam 67-68. I was in the Central Highlands from the coast to Cambodia. The majority of my time was spent with the forward battalion headquarters. We travelled a lot via ground or air. We did a lot and saw a lot. I saw a lot of white stuff being sprayed by fixed wing aircraft and helicopter. I don’t know if I was exposed or not. I went to the VA for my agent orange medical examination and was found to be clear of anything at that time. I have been treated by VA since 2008 for a number of conditions and have multiple blond tests each year.
Vets should go to https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/vietnam.asp for more information. There are also many sites with maps that show where and when agent orange was used. The VA test is the first place to start if you are seeking compensation. There are a number of conditions that have been attributed to agent orange. If you have one of those illnesses and were in VietNam or other associated area you will automatically be considered as service related. If you have not been diagnosed with the assumed diseases you will not service related. It is that simple.
If you suspect that you have MG have your doctor order a blood test for AChR antibodies. 80 to 85 percent of MG patients test positive for AChR antibodies. I was diagnosed with MG in 2013. Once I learned what the symptoms were, I realized I had been having issues with MG probably at least for 10 years prior.
I hope this helps some people trying to get compensation from the VA.
Louu