Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist? › Reply To: How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist?

  • Community Member

    Member

    Carol, that was an amazing explanation of the importance of a sleep study.  Thank you for sharing that!  Unfortunately, the earliest Vanderbilt can get me seen for a sleep study consult (not even the actual sleep study) is September 28th – which is 5 1/2 months from now.  And that is via Telehealth!  It seems to me a rather long time to wait to even discuss a sleep study.  In addition to the MG breathing difficulties, I also happen to have Variegate Porphyria , which can cause breathing paralysis if I happen to be in a state of porphyrin overload.  Thankfully, my VP is under control with no major porphyria attacks in a few years.  However, Vanderbilt hasn’t addressed my sleeping/breathing in regards to this issue either.  It feels like I have 2 strikes against me and no one cares enough to pay attention to the ballgame.  Because of my extensive experience in the “rare disease” world, I completely agree about the importance of educating ourselves so that we can then educate our medical team.  Sadly, some don’t appreciate an educated patient.  And you are 100% correct about the importance of CLINICAL SKILLS, not just test skills or book knowledge.  But, all I can do at this point is press on.  It has become clear from the replies on this forum, that I will be in better hands by searching out a new neuromuscular specialist.  Thank you for your reply and all the best to you on your journey.