Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › New To Diagnosis and at a loss as to how to handle. › Reply To: New To Diagnosis and at a loss as to how to handle.

  • Community Member

    Member

    I was just diagnosed about 2 months ago after having symptoms for ~6 months. But I agree with what most are saying. Just pace yourself and take the meds when you need them. The pyridostigmine really helped me, but I know it doesn’t help everyone. I give myself some grace now and I’m not afraid to take a nap when I need one. I work night shift and have a 13 month old at home so it can be tough, but I try not to over do it.

    As for the eating, I too had trouble chewing and swallowing before meds and lost some weight. I try to eat more frequently now and the meds have helped. Also more protein and more “value” to the foods I choose. One of my bigger struggles at this point is a loss of muscle mass and arm weakness just from not being able to work out like I used to. I hope things get better for you as you adjust. This new “lifestyle” is difficult. I’m preparing for a thymectomy this week in hopes that it will help my symptoms