Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist? › Reply To: How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist?

  • Community Member

    Member

    Hi Lisa,

    My heart goes out to you after reading your story.  Some times it’s a long road to diagnosis and continues with getting appropriate treatment.  I was going to suggest the same thing that Mike did.  Research to see if there is a support group in your area.  It helps to hook up with a local group and meet members that have MG.  Perhaps you could “google” for support groups in your area.  I know that my support group in my state does have a website, so it shows up in searches.

    Also, make sure that your (new) neurologist is a neuromuscular specialist.  They should have a better understanding of current treatments for MG.  It is not a one size fits all disease, for sure.  I had symptoms for about 7 years before I was sent to Mayo for another evaluation.  My antibodies were negative at the time that my initial symptoms presented, so they didn’t investigate any further.  I am thankful that I was able to be reevaluated by doctors at Mayo clinic and started on a course of treatment.  But…it was a very long road.

    I hope that you’re able to find a neurologist that can partner with you to provide the best care possible.