Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Healthcare and Treatments › How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist? › Reply To: How do I know if I’m with the right Neurologist/Neuro-Specialist?

  • Community Member

    Member

    Michelle,

    Thank you so much for your encouraging words!  We definitely need to be strong advocates for ourselves because no one else is going to do it.  I am glad someone is finally paying attention to your thoracic mass – thymoma can be dangerous and I am so grateful to the cardiologist who found mine!  I understand that everyone wants to be at one of the national clinics – I have reached out to Mayo recently, and will probably be pursuing that more actively from this point forward.  Currently I am at Vanderbilt, which gets a lot of name recognition, but as far as my experience here – I would not recommend Vanderbilt to any MG patients.  When you only get 30 minutes with your neuromuscular specialist every 4-6 months because they are “so busy”, and then they belittle you for reading information online to educate yourself about your condition because they aren’t educating you themselves – I just don’t consider that quality healthcare.

    I hope you are able to find your “angels” to care for you, as well!  I would love to hear of your experience going forward, especially if you are able to get into Mayo or Cleveland Clinic.

    All the best! – Lisa