• Community Member

    Member

    Because of a weakened immune system, I’ve administered weekly subcutaneous IGg treatments for several years before the pandemic. When Covid vaccines became available, I was instructed to receive 3 full doses of Moderna vaccine, and then a booster dose of Moderna 3 months after the last full dose. Each time, my only reaction was a the red, sore, slightly raised area around the the injection site that gradually faded in about a week.

    15 days later, as instructed, I got the Evusheld monoclonal antibody injections (1 shot in each butt cheek to divide the load). Then, my doctor contacted me a month later and told me to get the Evusheld vaccination for a 2nd time. When my doctor instructed me to get Evusheld, she said that it was advisable to get the booster about 90 days after the last Evusheld injection to continue full protection.

    Keep in mind that Evusheld is not the same as the preventative vaccines, like J&J, Pfizer or Moderna. They are ment to stimulate/teach your immune system to recognize the virus to allow your immune system to produce antibodies if/when exposed in the future. Evusheld provides antibodies to people, who might not produce any/enough antibodies on their own. Unlike othr Covid antibody treatments (given when you’re sick), Evusheld can’t be administered if you are currently infected. Therefore, they will first administer a rapid Covid test, which must be negative to continue. After the injections, you will remain onsite for an addition hour and checked every 15 minutes for any reactions (I had none).

    The total for an Evusheld appointment (from paperwork to leaving) is approximately 1.5 hours and you will most likely have to pay an administrative fee ($100) separate from what is covered by insurance. Evusheld injections are expected to provide protection from the Covid virus for about 6 months, but are still not normally meant to replace Covid vaccinations.

    I hope this information helps!