Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › What Are Your Life Passions? › Reply To: What Are Your Life Passions?

  • Community Member

    Member

    I was diagnosed 26 years ago. After a year I was able to get off prednisone and all the other meds I was on and resume my life with occasional MG symptoms (mostly breathing and vocal cord issues). This lasted until about 2014.

    After a dose of Clindamycin my symptoms returned with a vengeance. I was running a karate studio with my husband and training for my 4th degree black belt. Prednisone, IVIg, Cellcept, Imuran, thymectomy, a few crises, bipap, plasma exchange, intubation, tracheostomy, 3 surgeries due to prednisone side effects, and lots of time later, I am relatively stable as long as I don’t get a cold and plan all activities (including showering, making a meal, picking up prescriptions etc) to coincide with mestinon and a ton of rest.

    I still enjoy going to the karate school with my husband. I watch, support, and make verbal corrections when I’m strong enough. It still feeds my soul, just in a different way.

    Besides karate which is directly affected by my MG, my grown kids and my elderly dog are my passions.