Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Very new to my diagnosis. A bit confused and would like anyone to weigh in. › Reply To: Very new to my diagnosis. A bit confused and would like anyone to weigh in.

  • Community Member

    Member

    My Neurologist said when the prednisone dose is at 20mg or higher each day, the hit on the immune system’s functions can be partially mitigated with antibiotics.  I don’t know yet why Bactrim in particular is prescribed (in my case, at least).

    I just completed a 20mg daily prednisone regimen (for 4 weeks due to my recent MG episode) which included Bactrim.  The Bactrim was stopped last week when my daily prednisone was changed from 20 to a daily average of 15 mg, so I therefore assumed that 20 mg was the minimum level for taking Bactrim.  I will have to take 15 mg for 4 weeks before getting dropped t0 10 mg for however long is necessary.  I’ve responded really well to prednisone (all MG symptoms currently in remission!) but know that it will eventually take a toll on my body, so I hope I can come off completely (until my next major episode, of course).  Good luck!