Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › What Are Your Life Passions? › Reply To: What Are Your Life Passions?
-
Community Member
MemberI was diagnosed with MG in April 2021. I started having symptoms In March 2021. I had Covid in February in between first and second Pfizer shot. Not sure if there is any correlation. Mine started with double vision and droopy eyes. I do have dry eye conditions. Went to three different Opthalmologists who wanted to treat dry eye problem. None talked about MG. I started slurring my words in April 2021 and made appointment with my Primary Care doctor who thought I may have had a mini stroke. An MRI that evening revealed no stroke. My doctor ordered blood test and as a result was diagnosed with MG. CT scan was done to rule out Thymus gland.
I was referred to Neurologist and started taking Pyridostigmine(3 each 60 MGS tables daily) prior to appointment. Double vision/droopy eyes went away after a few days. Slurring was still a problem. Met with Neurologist in June 2021. Pyridostigmine was increased to(4 each 60 MGS) per day and I started taking Prednisone(2 each 10 MGS daily). Prednisone was gradually increased to (6 each 10 MGS )daily over 5 months . Symptoms went away and Prednisone was gradually reduced to (10 MGS ) per day and Pyridostigmine was reduced to (3 each 60 MGS) day. These are my current doses with an occasional slur otherwise symptom free.
I was referred to a Neurologist at University of Washington for second opinion. They were happy with my current treatment. I was concerned about the progression of MG and other meds available for treatment. They do not believe this will progress any further and other treatments are for more severe cases. I guess I should be happy since there people with severe MG symptoms.
Overall my Primary Care doctor identified this at an early stage and I was able to interact with my Neurologist via emails to adjust my meds without having a face to face appointment. This really helped me. Hopefully I will have this under control. Only time will tell.