Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › How Does Myasthenia Gravis Intrude in Your Day? › Reply To: How Does Myasthenia Gravis Intrude in Your Day?

  • Community Member

    Member

    My vocal cords are keenly affected by MG. Talking is often difficult. I’m always hoarse to some degree and often need to whisper. Mestinon helps during the first 2 hours after taking it. But should I try to produce any volume, my vocal cords will freeze for a second or two, causing me to choke. My right vocal cord is partially closed all the time and I am conscious of it all the time. My muscles weaken with use; but I have learned how to manage them and have to rest most of the day. I am very lucky in that after getting MG controlled after my initial diagnosis; I had 16 years of minor symptoms before a dramatic return which has disabled me. I subscribe to spoon theory and make sure I don’t over tax myself. That alone can be intrusive. But worrying about vocal cord paralysis is the most intrusive.