Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › Working with MG diagnosed as a senior › Reply To: Working with MG diagnosed as a senior
-
Community Member
MemberAnita, I love the analogy you gave of the energy of a sedated sloth! So true! Some days the fatigue is so bad, I could just drop where I stand.
I am 60,& was diagnosed in 2020. I grew up on a farm, & have a hobby farm, now, minus the animals. It just devastated me to get rid of my animals, especially my horse. It was getting to the point that I couldn’t even brush my horse without getting exhausted. Not to mention all the heavy lifting. I knew something was going on, other than my rheumatologist telling me it was arthritis! She finally referred me to a neurologist, who figured out it was MG.
Since diagnosed things surely went downhill. The fatigue, droopy eyes, painful legs, the throat with swallowing & talking, painful muscles around the ribs, ect..
I only work every other day, because it takes a day to recover from the day before! I work in health care, which has been bad this last year & a half. Being on immunosuppressants really had me on edge. My boss has been great, and gives me jobs where I don’t have to be around too many people.
But like so many of you have commented, about waiting to retire & do things you had planned. My husband is retired, & I carry the insurance, so I have to work till 65.
We enjoy car shows & swap meets, but those are attended depending on my symptoms. I tell my husband to go, if I feel I can’t.
Things have changed, that’s for sure. Try to have a good outlook, & just be thankful to wake up to another brand new day.
Take care everyone!