Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Weight Gain and Loss › Reply To: Weight Gain and Loss
-
Community Member
MemberIn my case, I had lost 75 pounds over about 18 months (from 245). My PCPO did many scans to identify if it was cancer; weight loss being a common symptom of cancer, but all scans were negative. Then I started having droopy eyelids, some breathing distress, and weak, drooping neck so went to my PCP. Her Physician’s Assistant immediately sent me to the ER. I was referred to a Neurologist who I was told is one of California’s specialists in MG. He thought I had mild MG for about 18 months prior but without bad enough symptoms to go to a doctor. He stated that even mild breathing distress causes the body to “massively” burn calories and that is why I was losing so much weight even though I was eating full meals. He also sad that people who lose a lot of weight due to cancer or other diseases look sickly and I didn’t.